Saturday, March 15, 2014

One Step Up (and Two Steps Back)*



By my own estimation I’ve submitted roughly 50 applications for library positions so far.  Of those, I’ve received perhaps half a dozen rejection letters and 4 interviews.  The interviews were for the following:
West Chester University (Music Library)
West Chester University (Main Library)
Manor College (Catholic two-year in Jenkintown PA)
Neumann University (Catholic four-year in Aston PA)
Salem State (MA) University
Bucknell University (Lewisburg PA)

The rejection letters were from the above, plus:
Montgomery County—Norristown Public
Holland (MI) District (LD)
Allegan (MI) District (LD)
University of Virginia (Music)
There are more but I don't have a record currently.  

I should start calling the jobs I haven't heard from.

PSERS is a big pain in the butt.  Because I'm taking disability pension, I can't apply to Pennsylvania universities (PSU, Temple, Lincoln, Pitt), PASSHE colleges (i.e., West Chester, Edinboro, Kutztown, etc.), Pennsylvania community colleges, or PA K-12 charter or public schools (well, I can apply, but it makes things enormously complicated--and frankly, not much of any significance has come up).

I have to wonder how people currently working in academic libraries got their foot in the door. How is “entry-level” defined in the academic library world?  In business, one might assume you’ve had an internship or at least some related experience. I'd love to hear from people and how they snagged their first job.

*--Bruce Springsteen, Tunnel of Love, 1987.

UPDATE: This process is teaching me the value and virtue of patience.  I received an email from a school in New England that needs a  Humanities/Social Sciences reference librarian.  I'll be doing a phone interview on Monday at 3:00 pm.  Wish me luck!
UPDATE #2:  A job as a Performing Arts Librarian just opened up in the Midwest.  It's applied for. Now the waiting comes...

No comments: