Wednesday, October 29, 2014

The Call*

Today marks one month since I started at Rowan University, and to say it's been a challenge woefully understates the case. I have learned to do so much in the way of original and copy cataloging, and have had my reference skills tested on more than one occasion (note to self: finish the 18 questions from Bob). It's less than an hour till I go home.  I've worked on a couple dozen pieces of music today ranging from Bach chorale preludes to the Walton Viola Concerto, cleaning up records and adding barcodes, and getting around the University infrastructure.  People are getting to know me--but when you're 6'4", you're hard to miss.

This month, I've:
--hired one employee
--fired one employee
--commenced training for the Music Library staff
--worked on various phases of cataloging over 100 items
--nearly completed the workstudy manual for the Music Library
--successfully completed weekly payroll duties
--assisted students in a wide array of reference needs.

Bob, my immediate supervisor, Jim, my predecessor, and Mark, his predecessor, have been remarkably patient as I discover how much I don't know, and have been able to get me to melt my iron will enough to want to ask for help.

I do enjoy working here very much, and whether I stay a year or ten will largely depend on how I handle the work.

St. Jerome, Pray for us!
SS. Cecelia and Gregory the Great, Pray for us!

Onward.

*--from Five Mystical Songs by Ralph Vaughan Williams, 1906-1911.

No comments: